RE: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast (fwd)

2004-09-30 10:06:10
Would you please give more about  the problem of  anycast with root
server ?

To my understanding, Per-Packet Load Balancing  works only in situation
all  DNS servers installed
behind the same router, and it  CAN NOT guarantee sequencing of TCP
packets.

The first problem of PPLB  is ,  it could not be implemented  for a
server farm which distributes across
internet, and  the only thing it does is  replacing traditional  load
balancer  with router.

I don't know whether there is some research in  "how many packets does
one DNS request cost " and "how
many TCP traffic occupies in DNS traffic".  If  most of DNS request cost
more than one UDP packets, out-of-sequence
may be a problem. Also , if TCP occupies more than 10% of traffic it
will also be a problem.

The third,  ECMP in current  DNS server farm guarantees both per-packet
load balancing in UDP traffic and per-flow distribution
in TCP traffic.  Considering distributing DNS server across multiple AS,
I think the advange is obvious than PPLB.

Joe Shen

ps.  where can I find detailed information on Root server GTLD server
configuration  ( hardware , software, and network infrastructure)?
        I just know they use anycast but how they choose system
platform?