Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-15 06:57:54

Hi Eric,

I am afraid that your choice below won't mesh very well with why companies have software patents in the first place. Software patents aren't free, and companies are fairly careful about maintaining their value.

So, I am wondering if there is a middle ground here somewhere...

Let's take an example:

Mighty Mouse, Inc. (MMI) is introducing an innovative new product called the CheeseGrater2000 (CG2K). MMI engineers came up with a uniquely efficient way to use XML messages to control the real-time operation of the CG2K that allows the CG2K to be faster and more accurate than other cheese graters. MMI has applied for a patent -- not just for using their special XML messaging technique for real-time control of cheese graters, but for using it to control any real-time device that contains a general CPU and a DSP (don't ask how a cheese grater uses a DSP... that's confidential! :-)).

Let's assume, for purposes of this exercise, that MMI's patent is legally valid and would stand up in court. Let's also assume that there is no prior art.

MMI's primary intention is to protect the research investment that has allowed them to build faster and more accurate cheese graters than the competition. Secondary goals are to use this patent for defensive value, and to see if the technology covered by this patent can be applied to differentiate other MMI products.

A bit later, the IETF forms a WG that comes up with a new XML-based management protocol for managing Wireless Access Points called WiReless Access Point Control (WRAPCTL). Although the WG is unaware of this fact, the messages used in that protocol are in violation of MMI's patent(s).

Meanwhile, MMI has realized that their patented technique may allow for product differentiation in their IP Phone division (diversification is good!) and they have started talking to their IP Phone division about that possibility.

One of their IP phone engineers is active in the Transport area of the IETF, and has heard about the Cheese Grater Division's patent during internal meetings at MMI. During a plenary presentation on the success of the WRAPCTL WG, the MMI engineer realizes that the Cheese Grater Division's patent might apply to the messages described in the WRAPCTL protocol if (and only if) that protocol were implemented on a real-time system containing a CPU and DSP (like a Wireless Access Point). Being a conscientious IETF member and all-around good guy, the MMI engineer starts working with his legal department to draft an IPR disclosure including licensing terms.

MMI was entirely uninvolved in the creation of the WRAPCTL protocol, so they did not cause this conflict themselves. They don't make (or plan to make) Wireless Access Points, and the success of the WRAPCTL protocol has no strategic value whatsoever for them. However, being a nice company that doesn't want to damage the IETF, they would like to provide IPR terms that will allow people to implement the WRAPCTL protocol without paying any money to MMI.

However, in doing this, MMI wants to ensure two things:

(1) That they continue to protect their patent rights regarding the use of this technique for other purposes (such as cheese graters and IP phones). So, they want to limit the royalty-free terms to implementation of the IETF's WRAPCTL protocol and/or to use on Wireless Access Points. (I think that this would run amok of your proscription against "restricting the area of application", right?)

(2) That they maintain and enhance the defensive value of their patent, by making it clear that the royalty-free terms do not apply to anyone who sues them for violation of a different patent. (If I understand correctly, the OSS community doesn't have a problem with this concept, as long as no paperwork is required?).

Are there any IPR terms that MMI could offer that would meet these goals while also allowing the WRAPCTL protocol to be implemented in OSS implementations? If we could find that middle ground, I think it would be very valuable to the IETF and to the OSS community.

The sad truth, of course, is that (in the example above) it is far more likely that MMI would not determine that the WRAPCTL protocol violated their patents until longer after it had been standardized by the IETF and implemented in many commercial and OSS implementations. So, what would be do then?

Margaret