Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-15 06:06:13
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:

This strikes me as oversimplistic.  What if a commercial enterprise
wanted to license its IPR in such a way that it put no constraints on
open source, but retained constraints on commercial competitors?  I'm
not sure you can get around a technical mandate for some kind of
license and still retain those options.  -- Nathaniel

I can cite an example of a commercial enterprise with copyrighted GPL'd
products who has some emasures to prevent this.  They sell clusters, and
distribute the source code directly only to customers.  If you are an
open source programmer, get to know them, and ask nicely, they will give
you a copy for your purposes... i.e. if you want to "roll your own"
cluster.  One could also probably acquire a copy from one of their
customers, but a vast majority of their solution is hardware also, in the
form of master node and diskless processing nodes.