Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-15 06:00:59
There seem to be some misunderstanding here, free software is not
"non-commercial".  If someone wants to put restrictions of their ideas
on commercial competitors, that prevent the idea from being used in
free software as well.  The rights associated with "free software" are
granted to commercial entities as well.

Thanks.

Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)guppylake(_dot_)com> writes:

This strikes me as oversimplistic.  What if a commercial enterprise
wanted to license its IPR in such a way that it put no constraints on
open source, but retained constraints on commercial competitors?  I'm
not sure you can get around a technical mandate for some kind of
license and still retain those options.  -- Nathaniel