Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-10 12:48:17
On 10-okt-04, at 19:46, Florian Weimer wrote:

A stateless longest-prefix matching algorithm which costs only a few
dozen cycles (or very few cache misses) per lookup (even for random
addresses), provides fast routing table inserts and reasonably
efficient deletes is not exactly trivial to come up with.  A few
people have been looking for something that is reasonably fast and not
covered by patents yet, but I'm not aware of any interesting
discoveries.

Are you saying that the patricia tree / trie datastructures and/or their search methods are patented? I was under the impression that this stuff came from the academic world and as such would be unencumbered by patents.

No wonder all the kids want to be lawyers these days.