Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-23 09:05:14
On my way to the dust bin of history, I happened to notice this posting from Eric S. Raymond:

In what way?  Microsoft now knows that with the mere threat of a patent
it either can shut down IETF standards work it dislikes or seize control of the results through the patent system. The IETF has dignaled [sic] that it
will do nothing to oppose or prevent these outcomes.

If you want an SDO to not allow use of work based on asserted or claimed patent rights, then you have to accept that a company such as Microsoft will always be able to intervene and shut down a group or attempt to force decisions for its strategic benefit. This is actually a strong argument for a compromise position, such as RAND.

In short, we've come full circle. Can you take this conversation to the IPR group?

Thank you,

Eliot