Re: Sunshine Law

2004-10-23 09:38:50
Hi,

I fully agree that the best way to manage any organization, ideally, will be
NO ANY secrecy, full openness in every step, every decision. And this
include, and specially, how we should manage IETF.

I've been very concerned, and is not a matter of discussion here, but just
to show the situation, about the way the WG chairs, ADs, secretariat and
even the IETF chair, took a lot of decisions.

I'm always for a complete openness, but I also understand that is not so
simple, and we need to balance.

Having every single conversation or meeting scripted is not simple, if not
impossible and costly, even when the technology can help a lot.

For example, having every email going through mail exploders which are
archived and publicly open, will be easy, but how we can actually (if we
should) force all the participants to not use private emails, outside of the
list ?

Can some of the participants not talks so openly if they know that their
messages or conversations, are open to everyone ?

So, yes, we MUST try up to the limit, and clarifying rules and processes
will probably help as much as getting any kind of minutes or email traffic
being open.

And of course, a last and valid resort should be always to be forced to
reply to any IETF member very frankly, openly and honestly about any
question he might ask.

If the people who took a decision is not open about it, then that people
should be immediately removed from its position.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Jordi