Re: Sunshine Law

2004-10-25 09:31:07
From: John C Klensin

Two additions to Brian's comment, with which I agree...

(1) The type of discussions he describes are especially
important in situations in which an alternative is to try to
make large structural or procedural changes in order to solve
problems with personalities.  Such changes almost never succeed
if the relevant personalities are still in place, and they can
add serious additional friction to the process while solving
problems that don't exist and not solving those that do.

Gordian Knots are hard unless you are a mythic hero.  It sounds better
deal first with the personality problem and then fix the structural
problem.  I think conflating the two even in private is bound to lead
to serious errors and distortions in the procedural repairs.  But
sometimes that's impossible and you can't cut the knot.

I trust this is not directly relevant to the reorganization stuff.

Perhaps I'm just getting too old, but while I think IETF
benefits from clear discussions in frank language, I don't think
the nit-picking, out of context, abuse, especially that which is
based on long-ago comments, benefits anyone.

Yes, but much of that comes from letting everyone have a say as
opoosed to letting everyone see what is said.

I have big problems mustering any interest in whether the IETF is
incorporated in Elbonia or whatever the reorganization is really about,
but doing things in secret is always expensive.  Sometimes the costs
of secrecy are less than the alternatives, but they always exist.  In
this case, I'm now convinced that the reorganization stuff is less
boring than I assumed.  I still prefer to let you and others deal with
it in private than to read those minutes.  But please see those costs.