RE: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-21 10:17:21
Well said, Joel.

At one time, the Internet was a child and needed to be tended by its
parent in order for it to survive. Now it is considerably bigger and
stronger than its parent. Of course, the parent continues to seek how to
most appropriately help its huge offspring. My own feeling is that the
Internet is too big, diverse, and needy for any one group -- including
its parent -- to meet its needs. The IETF is a useful forum for protocol
and technology development, which is one of the important facets
required by the Internet. By faithfully leveraging this strength we can
assist the Internet. Other groups have other strengths which I hope they
will use for the benefit of all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel M. Halpern [mailto:joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:01 AM
To: esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

I think this is seriously miscontrueing the situation. Different groups
participate in the success of the internet in different ways. I have no
objection to Debian, Apache, Nortel, or Cisco fighting patents
which they believe hurt the internet.
That fight is not the job the IETF has demonstrated skill at, or
interest in. It is not an end-run of the IETF for another organization
to do something
the IETF is not interested in doing.
It is not a threat to the internet or the IETF for other organizations
help seek the best interest of the internet.  In fact it is necessary.

And I personally would be very unhappy if the IETF were dragged into the

philosophical and legal argument as to whether patents qua patents
(whether
restricted to software or all inventsion) are a good idea, a bad idea, a

good idea gone bad, or some other view.  The IETF is not the forum for
promoting or advancing such views.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern