Sunshine Law (was: Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!)

2004-10-21 10:25:59

Hi Paul,

Ignoring the rest of your post and just picking up on this part:

3. with regard to process transparency, you have all had a chance to
   read my thoughts about california's "sunshine law" which holds that:

        The people of this State do not yield their sovereignty to the
        agencies which serve them.  The people, in delegating authority,
        do not give their public servants the right to decide what is
        good for the people to know and what is not good for them to
        know.  The people insist on remaining informed so that they may
        retain control over the instruments they have created.

        (Gov.Code § 54950)

I love this law, and I do think that we should live up to this standard in the IETF! I agree that we are short of the mark in some ways today, and I think that we should change that.

   and i've brought this up when i think that the servants to whom
   authority has been delegated think that "the people" do not have a
   right or need to know what's really going on.  after the last time i
   aired this concern, various people mouthed the right slogans, but the
   nontransparency has remained, along with my concerns.  apparently,
   i'm just not getting through.

The wall may be thick, but I think that we're making progress. So, keep hammering!!

Where do you see problems in this area?  And how can we fix them?

Margaret