Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-21 10:39:22
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 11:49, Tim Bray wrote:
I'm with ESR on this one.  The W3C bit the bullet and built a
patent/IPR policy that has integrity and is based on the notion that
the Net works properly when important components can be built by
un-funded independents without worrying about getting their asses sued
by someone with a patent portfolio.  If the IETF wants to ignore
history and build an Internet where that doesn't hold, feel free, but
it's not a very interesting kind of place.  -Tim

the question of interest to an IETF working group is whether the
existance of a particular IPR claim is a barrier to adoption of the
technology.

Many IPR claims are bogus.

If there is WG consensus that the IPR claim does not serve as a barrier
to adoption, we should not delay work on a standard until the IPR claim
is definitively proven bogus in the courts.