Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-21 08:19:12
Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>:
I don't think we can require the IESG to negotiate anything. There are
all kinds of legal issues there. To my knowledge, both WGs and the IESG
do think carefully about this, but often conclude that the default IETF
conditions (RAND) are realistic and acceptable.

If IETF continues to believe this, groups like Apache and Debian will continue
to have to end-run IETF by doing the job of defending the Internet commons
that IETF is abdicating, and IETF's authority will evaporate.

It is not 1982 or even 1992 any more.  Conditions have changed dramatically.
I would hate to see IETF dwindle into irrelevance, but that is exactly
where statements like this are pointing.