Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-21 09:02:28
On Oct 21, 2004, at 7:59 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>:
I don't think we can require the IESG to negotiate anything. There are
all kinds of legal issues there. To my knowledge, both WGs and the IESG do think carefully about this, but often conclude that the default IETF
conditions (RAND) are realistic and acceptable.

If IETF continues to believe this, groups like Apache and Debian will continue
to have to end-run IETF

I'm with ESR on this one. The W3C bit the bullet and built a patent/IPR policy that has integrity and is based on the notion that the Net works properly when important components can be built by un-funded independents without worrying about getting their asses sued by someone with a patent portfolio. If the IETF wants to ignore history and build an Internet where that doesn't hold, feel free, but it's not a very interesting kind of place. -Tim