Re: Shuffle those deck chairs!

2004-10-20 13:23:49
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Michael Richardson wrote:

    >> Obviously, there is a problem if a patent claims to invent
    >> something commonplace such as 'xml', and grants its use only for
    >> the purpose of IETF standards or a specific standard.  But I'm
    >> not sure if I recall something like that.

This is a question of licensing and particularly the wording and
limitations imposed by the license.  Hypothetically, it could go either
way.  You would only be permitted to do what the license permits.  If the
license specifically only permits use of the technology for SIP, then you
can't use the patented technology for something else, because "something
else" is not permitted, assuming the language of the license was very
restrictive.  The trick is the specification of the permissions in the
license.  The answer depends on the license wording. Sometimes even
restrictive licenses leave loopholes. Sometimes not.  That's why we have
lawyers.

Yes, lawyers who generally get rich doing little more than arguing.

              --Dean

617 344 9000

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx:81/