Re: AdminRest: New version of IASA BCP document available

2004-11-17 08:40:07
On 14:14 17/11/2004, Harald Tveit Alvestrand said:
The IETF standards process is not supposed to be affected by this reorganization (except, hopefully, by having better support). I agree that the IETF standards process needs to have participation from users, but doing so through management of the support infrastructure would be *significantly* convoluted....

This is not what I have in mind. What I have in mind is something equivalent to GAC in ICANN or IAB in the IETF structure. IAB has identified it needed the users money (Govs are the leading users), the same as ICANN has identified they needed Gov support (Stuarts call). The simplest and the least risky way is to suggest a "usage forum" (what ISOC should be/is?) that would have with the IETF the _only_ tie of a common secretariat. Any other way (at an "higher political layer") implies risks of interference with the Internet standard process. Through a common administrative support (secretariat) they will be able to channel suggestions and comments but only in respecting the Internet standard process. IMHO this is our best protection against ITU creep.

This calls for a non-committing paragraph to open the possibility of this administrative plug, and see if something develops. The problem you face otherwise is the way to interface and finance the interface of a global network user/consumer committee which could result from Tunis. In initiating the move, you better keep it under control. In being ready to plug a network usage advisory board with similar relations as to the IAB, you have modified nothing, and offered in you own terms what big users will ask for and obtain from others creating IETF a big pain.

jfc