Re: IASA BCP Section 5.3

2004-11-18 03:19:02
Geoff Huston wrote:
At 11:04 PM 17/11/2004, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

I have some comments on Section 5.3 of the IASA BCP, "Other ISOC Support".

The first paragraph of this section says:

   Other ISOC support shall be based on the budget process as specified
   in Section 6.  ISOC will deposit the yearly amount (as agreed to in
   approved budget) in equal portions.  At a minimum such deposits will
   be made quarterly.

This seems unnecessarily restrictive.

Not at all - it seems to me to be entirely necessary and appropriate in these circumstances. The IASA needs to operate like any other enterprise - it needs to manage its cash flow, and manage its overall financial position. Your depiction of the financial position makes this more and more like an operational department of ISOC with all funding management placed under the control of ISOC. Frankly this is not what I understand ISOC offered the IETF. The use of forward planning and timed periodic payments according to a documented schedule of such regular payments allows the IASA and ISOC to understand in advance the scale of commitments in terms of the budgetary process for the entire year, as well as being able to manage cash flow based once more on the foreknowledge of the points of money transfer from ISOC to IASA.

I fear that Geoff is right. He and I both chaired ISOC during a period
when it had serious cash flow problems. If for some unpleasant reason
that happened again, we wouldn't want IASA to be at their mercy. Having
ISOC formally committed to a regular rate of transfer seems prudent.

OTOH if ISOC received an unexpected donation for IETF purposes, that
should be transferred promptly - does this need to be stated somewhere?

   Brian