Re: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

2004-12-13 07:18:24
"Lynn St.Amour" <st(_dot_)amour(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> writes:

Re:

ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate  structures and programs
to coordinate donations  intended to support the work of the IETF,
and these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and  direct
contributions to the work supported by  IASA. Since ISOC will be the
sole entity through  whom donations may be made to the work of the
IETF, ISOC shall ensure that those programs are not  unduly
restrictive. For the benefit of  individuals, smaller organizations
and countries  with developing economies, ISOC shall maintain
programs that allow for designated donations to  the IETF."

 Editors' note: Some have suggested we need explicit  IETF consensus
on the above. So if you do not agree,  please speak up ASAP.

snip...

ISOC shall create appropriate administrative  structures to
coordinate such donations with the  IASA.  In-kind resources are
owned by the ISOC on behalf of the IETF and shall  be reported and
accounted for in a manner that  identifies them as such.  Designated
monetary donations shall be credited  to the appropriate IASA
account.

 From ISOC's perspective, I would like to see the first paragraph
 above stop after  ....unduly restrictive.  The last sentence is
 unnecessarily restrictive and too proscriptive; and will
 significantly reduce needed flexibility.  This also seems to go
 beyond the level of detail present in the rest of the document by
 trying to define operational procedures for ISOC's "daily
 business". This would also mean the first sentence in the following
 paragraph beginning: "ISOC shall create... " should also be deleted.

ISOC will, of course, work to ensure that all contributions are sought
out, are appropriately recognized, and that barriers to donations are
nonexistent.   It is obviously in all our interests to do so.

As I read this section, the intention is to ensure that donors
who wish their funds to be used by IASA can do so easily, rather
than being forced to donate them to ISOC in general. I don't
think this is actually an instance in which our interests
are all entirely aligned, since it would obviously be more
convenient for ISOC to have full discretion over the dispersal
of funds, though it would provide fewer guarantees to IASA
in terms of revenue flow.

Could you explain a little further what flexibility this language
removes?

-Ekr