Re: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

2004-12-13 11:46:55
"Lynn St.Amour" <st(_dot_)amour(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> writes:

At 5:46 AM -0800 12/13/04, Eric Rescorla wrote:

As I read this section, the intention is to ensure that donors
who wish their funds to be used by IASA can do so easily, rather
than being forced to donate them to ISOC in general. I don't
think this is actually an instance in which our interests
are all entirely aligned,

If we look at this as a partnership, I don't understand why not.   If
one looks at ISOC as only a funding mechanism for the IETF, this might
seem to be the case.   Our interests should be more aligned than
simply financially.

I agree with that, but that doesn't mean that our interests
are entirely aligned. Indeed, partnerships are a situation
in which it pays to take particular care to one's contracting
arrangements because the respective point of alignment and
disalignment are less obvious.

since it would obviously be more
convenient for ISOC to have full discretion over the dispersal
of funds, though it would provide fewer guarantees to IASA
in terms of revenue flow.

Could you explain a little further what flexibility this language
removes?

over 80% of ISOC's org. members donate less than $10K annually and
managing these in a 'restricted accounting manner' requires more
effort and overhead.

What fraction of the aggregate income comes from such donors?

And, language such as that in the BCP  would require changes to our
membership programs (reducing our flexibility wrt future program
development) and consistent with other decisions to remove operational
detail from the BCP, it seems as though this language should be
removed as well.

Finally, revamping membership/funding programs should not be done in a
piecemeal manner and with the model proposed we risk drawing fairly
arbitrary lines re designating support to the IETF vs. support to
other ISOC/IETF (technical) education and policy programs.

Hmm... It's precisely those lines that I am concerned that we should
draw.

-Ekr