Re: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

2004-12-15 05:06:14
Bert, that does not change the need for the ISOC accountants
to generate a separate entry for each case and for the auditors
to check each of those entries. It's a real cost, because
accountancy and auditing cost real money.

   Brian

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
Inline
Biran answered me:

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

I am not a real accountant and kind of simple-minded.

So when you say:

"Lynn" == Lynn St Amour <st(_dot_)amour(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> writes:

  Lynn> over 80% of ISOC's org. members donate less than $10K
  Lynn> annually and managing these in a 'restricted accounting
  Lynn> manner' requires more effort and overhead.  Also,
  Lynn> organizations/donors expect recognition appropriate to their
  Lynn> contribution and that implies differing levels of value and
  Lynn> distinction.

I then wonder....
- if there is s separate or special bank account for IASA/ETF
- if I can just deposit my donation into that bank account
- What then is the "more effort and overhead" ??

I just do not understand.

Bert, I'm sure Lynn will answer this too, but from when the ISOC was
discussing accounting practices for individual member subscriptions
and donations, I remember that the bank account aspect is the least
of the worries (and anyway, we already reached consensus not to
have a separate bank account).

I am not even talking about "separate bank account" as we did in an early rev of the iasa-bcp doc. I am talking about an ISOC bank account
that will ONLY receive donations targeted for a specific purpose.
By depositing money on the specific bank account, you IMPLICITLY tell
ISOC that the money is intended for a specific purpose, in this case
IETF.  Again it must be the simple-minded me who does not understand.

Bert

he issue is that accounting entries
have to be made in a very specific way for money which is tied to
a specific purpose, and while that is a small overhead if someone
donates $100k, it becomes a significant overhead if 100 people
donate $1k. It can end up eating money for accounting actions
that really serve no useful purpose but have to be done to follow
thr accounting rules. So I think Lynn is correct and we have to
give ISOC the necessary flexibility.

   Brian