Organizationed spam RE: [Sip] WiMAX Summit'05 - Paris - France

2004-12-15 18:45:16

Harald and community,

        Observation/Comment from a concerned member. I've never really
complained about anything before, but if I search over the last couple of
months (I did a searchback to Oct 1) across the following mailing lists to
which I'm subscribed:

XCON,AVT,IPSEC,IPTEL,SIP,SIPPING,MMUSIC etc

        I get notices from Peter Lewis and Gunther Palmer, sometimes I get
5+ copies of these notices. For example I have 11 notices about the summer
'05 wimax summit in paris france that I haven't deleted floating around my
mailbox! 5 Just today between SIMPLE,XCON,SIPPING,MMUSIC, and SIP!!!!! Who
knows how many more went out. I thought this was a little bit
unacceptable(I'm trying to be polite for some reason I guess) as the IETF
itself has 1 announce list for announcing things, and as far as I'm
concerned this is basically spam. I sent a message on November 11th which is
attached basically saying to the principals of this organization that:

- -I'm receiving multiple notices,
- -think it's unreasonable,
- -the people sending the notices are not participants on the lists so are
clearly exploiting the mailing list
- -that the IETF has an announce list which they should work out appropriate
submission and distribution through, as I'm sure that IETF memebers would in
fact like to be notified of their events, but appropriately.

        I'm copying them on this message again as well, and personally I
feel that if you look at

http://tinyurl.com/6mvnc
- -and-
http://tinyurl.com/452e5

        You can see that peter lewis has been sending bulk unsolicited email
through IETF lists for some time, and Gunter Palmer appears to be a new up
and coming distributor.

        That said, I never got a response, so I'm inclined to say we should
boot them from IETF mailing lists, and ideally get a response and arrange to
have them submit 1 notice 1 time to go out to the IETF announce list, or
perhaps even a separate list which is specifically for folks wishing to
address the IETF population at large. Certainly only willing participants to
the IETF/IETF announce list should be getting these notices. I do recall a
gentleman mentioning in DC something about coordinating reasonable official
submissions, and I feel this falls in line with that request. There's enough
of a problem with spam that we can't do anything about, and I think dealing
with this situation properly could have the potential to not only reduce
some junk mail, but also allow that information to go out in an appropriate
fashion to willing recipients, and perhaps educate some people (who's
company supposedly caters to technology folk) along the way of proper
edicate for such matters. And if they don't respond, who cares, just boot em
and let them suffer the consequences.

        Perhaps comments from a few more IETF folk could establish that this
crap is not welcome, or is it just me?

        And to the principals of this orgnaization. Who are you to not
respond to something like this? This is very indicative of pathetic business
practices, and makes me inclined to say bad things about your organizations
morals, and the organization itself, and frankly the people on top who don't
respond as well. Don't you realize that the people who get the most spam and
are more annoyed than anyone by it are the audience you supposedly are
catering to?

- -Tom

thomasgal(_at_)lumenvox(_dot_)com