Re: IASA BCP Conflict of Interest Clause?

2004-12-22 08:21:15

--On onsdag, desember 22, 2004 09:07:22 -0500 Margaret Wasserman <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com> wrote:

One question arose when we were writing the original BCP that I haven't
seen discussed on the list...

Do we need a conflict of interest clause in the BCP?

That may be of interest, but we need to be careful....

Something like:

The IAD and IAOC may not accept bids from nor establish contracts with
members of the IAOC, their family members, their employers or companies
in which they have a significant financial interest.  If such a conflict
of interest arises, it should be quickly resolved through contract
termination or the resignation of the IAOC member involved.

I think this specific proposal is not reasonable - if an IBM employee is IAB chair, and IBM wants to sign a contract to sponsor an IETF meeting, it is not (IMHO) reasonable either to refuse the offer or ask the IAB chair to resign.

What about handling this in the same way as I suggested for the quorum rules, and say "The IAOC will establish and publish rules to handle conflict of interest situations"?