Re: IASA BCP Conflict of Interest Clause?

2004-12-22 11:40:54
Thus spake "Leslie Daigle" <leslie(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com>
Margaret Wasserman wrote:
I was thinking more of ongoing contracts...  For instance, let's
say that we contract with Margaret's Meeting Management
(MMM -- and no, I am not considering a new career :-)) for
our meeting planning.  Would it be reasonable for someone
who works for MMM to be an IAOC member? Would
he/she need to recuse him/herself from every decision having to
do with meetings?

I think it would be sensible for the IAOC member to resign if
it was a problem.  If they didn't resign, and the rest of the IAOC
thought it was a problem, there are recall measures (because it could
be construed as abrogation of IAOC duties).

We can require that the IAOC establish rules for dealing with conflicts of
interest, and if a member does not follow them (or perhaps does so too
frequently) they can be recalled; if that fails, particular decisions can be
appealed by the community.  IMHO, this is enough.

We cannot predict every possible conflict or the most appropriate action in
each case -- nor should we try to codify such details in the BCP even if we
could.  The BCP overall has evolved a tone of general guidance and public
oversight, not micromanagement, and that seems appropriate here too.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin