RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2004-12-31 15:00:50
Paul Vixie <> supposedly scribbled:

this must be a long holiday weekend or something.

Apparently only in the rest of the world.

The hotel absolutely sucks, thanks, so much so that I, for one,
have
sworn _never_ to stay there again.

and we will all, of course, miss you very much.

Don't worry, I'll be there: I simply refuse to give those people any
more of my (or my employer's) money than absolutely necessary.  Why
pay for at best indifference, at worst abuse?  I would, however,
highly recommend the Hyatt a block and a half away; of course to
stay there you must subject yourself to the lovely Minneapolis
"spring" weather, but this gives opportunity to reflect upon the
evils of the flesh...

Your concern over the travel budgets of others is touching (if a
little creepy).

let 'em spend as much money as they want going anywhere they want.

just keep them away from the meeting rooms unless they have a more
compelling reason to be in there than "this is more fun than my
actual job, and the company is buying me MFLD, so, what's not to
like?"

What I find fascinating about these arguments is that it assumes
that these imaginary hordes of hedonists are smart and corrupt
enough to defraud their employers just for a few free dinners, but
are too stupid to avoid sitting in stifling conference rooms for
hours listening to boring presentations about documents in which
they have no interest.  No contradiction there...

Don't worry, O Calvinist Guardian of Virtue: there is little
pleasure
to be found in Paris in August; the cafes will be shuttered, even
the
cab drivers will have left the city.

it's got to be scary being in the weather pattern europe is in,
knowing that bush won't sign onto the kyoto protocols and that
china
is just beginning a CO2-emitting boom period that will probably
last
until 2070 or so.  but i think we digress, a little, don't you?

Actually, I was trying to get back on topic.  If you check my
original post, it was not about the Puritanical virtues of meeting
in Minneapolis but the physical danger of meeting in Paris in
August.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by
simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel