RE: Excellent choice for summer meeting location!

2004-12-31 20:30:08
Uh - how is Paris going to be physically dangerous.  Are there
terrorists planning on blowing up a tower, I really don't think a few
warm days count as physically dangerous to most of the crowd I see at
IETF meetings...

Not to sound alarmist or anything, but there is actually quite a history
of terrorist attacks against Paris:

- July 25, 1995: Bomb at Paris Metro Station Saint Michel kills 35.
- Dec. 26, 1994: The hijackers of an Air France airliner in Marseilles,
France, were suspected of intending smashing it against the Eiffel
Tower.
- September 17, 1986: Bomb explodes in a paper basket in front of the
Tati clothes store, rue de Rennes, Paris, kills 7 and injures 51.

Various conspiracies have been stopped by the French police in recent
years, including a plot to bomb the American Embassy in September 2001.

The main consequence for IETF attendees: do not leave your baggage
unattended at a Paris airport, in a train station, or generally in a
public place. The standard procedure is to blow it preventively...

-- Christian Huitema