Re: Suggest no change: #739 Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

2005-01-14 02:52:46
John C Klensin wrote:
Pete,

I still think this is misdirected energy.

But, in the interest of finding a reasonable compromise and
moving on, let me make a suggestion:

        (1) We let the current text and resolution style stand,
        so that bylaw changes don't become a gating factor [note
        1 below].

        (2) We ask the current, sympathetic, helpful,
        supportive, ISOC Board to consider a bylaws modification
        that does not single out the IETF Administrative Entity...

(details deleted)

I think this is the only realistic approach. Pete asked why it takes
months to get the by-laws amended. Well, it's because a corporation
takes its by-laws seriously, will need to debate the text, get
legal review, and finally take a formal vote. Corporation law requires
that formal vote to be face to face or conference call, not email.
It just takes time, whereas I would hope that a resolution endorsing
the BCP would take a couple of weeks. [Truth in advertising: the email
vote on a resolution has to be confirmed face to face, but that is
truly a formality.]

(Side note - I wouldn't go near the Articles of Incorporation. If they
get modified, it's likely to trigger a review of ISOC's non-profit
tax status and that is nuisance for no reason.)

    Brian