Re: Suggest no change: #739 Assuring ISOC commitment to AdminRest

2005-01-13 17:31:54
Pete,

I still think this is misdirected energy.

But, in the interest of finding a reasonable compromise and
moving on, let me make a suggestion:

        (1) We let the current text and resolution style stand,
        so that bylaw changes don't become a gating factor [note
        1 below].

        (2) We ask the current, sympathetic, helpful,
        supportive, ISOC Board to consider a bylaws modification
        that does not single out the IETF Administrative Entity
        by name (which starts making me nervous for other
        reasons).  It should instead define some category of
        semi-independent entities which have affiliated
        themselves with ISOC [note 2] and that provides that an
        ISOC decision to withdraw from an agreement with such
        entities, or to attempt to unilaterally change such an
        agreement, requires some specified supermajority or
        other special action [note 3].

Whether they will occur (be created) or not, one can imagine a
number of activities that might fall under such rules, including
various social projects that might be developed as cooperative
relationships with, or divisions of, ISOC rather than directly
controlled by the ISOC Board.  And, in each case, the idea of
ISOC terminating or rearranging the agreement without due
consideration and relatively strong consensus would be, at best,
troublesome.  So a bylaws provision that, for such situations,
divorces are harder to have performed than marriages, would
probably be in ISOC's broader interest.

Would that more or less solve the problem you are having/
concerned about?

        john

[note 1] While I am as anxious as anyone else to get the
important aspects of the BCP right, I am also anxious to get
this process over with and get on with what we are doing.  If a
bylaws change will take a long-ish time, I'd like to figure out
how to move forward without queuing on it if that is at all
possible.

[note 2] While I don't think coming up with an appropriate
definition is horribly complicated, I'd assume it will require
some discussion, consultation with lawyers, and so on.
Throwing that problem over the wall to ISOC is another way to
avoid queuing the reorganization process behind this issue
(sorry, Lynn, Fred, and others).  If people want to wordsmith
it, let it be on an ISOC list.

[note 3] My experience with Boards that change previously-agreed
directions is that forcing careful consideration rather than
permitting decisions in the heat of a passing moment is actually
better protection than supermajorities.  So I would advise the
relevant ISOC folks to think carefully about whether, e.g., an
"approval at two meetings at least a month apart" or "approve at
meeting, post for comments by the membership, approve at a
second meeting after time for comment" provision might serve the
perceived need here better than fussing with supermajorities and
quorums.  But I'd prefer to make this a problem that ISOC
debates, rather than the IETF.

    john

--On Thursday, 13 January, 2005 17:10 -0600 Pete Resnick