Re: Rough consensus? #425 3.5

2005-01-19 09:10:36
Hmm. I think this bothers me a lot unless
a) unsuccessful bidders and their agents
and
b) unsuccessful job candidates

are explicitly excluded. Otherwise, every time
the IASA awards a contract or hires somebody, they are
exposed to public attack by the unsuccessful.

   Brian

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Okay, Harald indicated to me privately that I should be more specific about my objections to the current wording and offer some alternative, so here goes...

I do not object to the use of the term "review" instead of "appeal".

However, I do object to the current wording proposed by Harald for two reasons:

(1) I think that there should be an effective way for members of the community (not just members of the I*) to question the decisions of the IAOC and receive some response. If a wrong decision was made, it may not always be possible to reverse the decisions of the IAOC (contracts, etc.), but it could be possible to consider the situation and create new rules or guidelines to prevent a similar situation from occurring in the future.

(2) I don't think that the mechanism is appropriately specified. If we used the appeals mechanism in 2026, there is already a definition and some practical history. I understand there is some objection to using that mechanism, but if we want to invent a new one, then I think we need to specify it so that a member of he community (not just I* members) could actually use it.

Here is a stab at some alternative wording...

3.5 Decision review

In the case where someone believes that a decision of the IAD or the IAOC
he or she may ask for a formal review of the decision by sending e-mail
to the IAOC chair.  The request for review is addressed to the IAOC, and
should include details of the decision that is being reviewed, an explanation
of why the decision should be reviewed, and a suggestion for what action
should be taken to rectify the situation.  All requests for review will be
published publicly on the IAOC web site.

It is up to the IAOC to determine what level of formal review is required
based on the specifics of the request for review.  However, the IAOC is
expected to make some public response to a request for review within
90 days of the request, indicating the findings of the review.

If the IAOC finds that an incorrect or unfair decision was made, it will be
up to  the IAOC to decide what type of action, if any, makes sense as a
result.  In many cases, it may not be possible or practical to change the
decision (due to signed contracts or business implications), but the IAOC
may choose to make changes to its policies or practices to avoid similar
mistakes in the future or may simply wish to acknowledge that  a mistake
was made and learn from the error.

If a person believes that his or her request for review was not handled
properly or fairly by the IAOC, he or she may escalate the request to the
IESG by sending mail to the IETF chair.  The IESG will consider the IAOC's
response and may take one of three actions:  (1) indicate that the decision
was properly reviewed and the IAOC's response was fair, (2) state why
the review was improper or unfair and offer advice to the IAOC
regarding what type of response or action would be justified, or (3)
determine that there is a problem with the rules governing the IAOC and
propose changes to this document (or other BCPs) to the IETF
community.  In no case, may the IESG reverse or change a decision of
the IAOC or make a direct change to the IAOC's operating policies.