Re: Resolution? #787 terminology - in particular "ISOC StandardsPillar"

2005-01-21 15:12:20
Thanks for the clarification; I think your wording, the one without the
mention of the cost center,. is just fine.
Tom Petch
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Malamud" <carl(_at_)media(_dot_)org>
To: "Tom Petch" <nwnetworks(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com>
Cc: "Margaret Wasserman" <margaret(_at_)thingmagic(_dot_)com>; "Harald Tveit
Alvestrand" <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: Resolution? #787 terminology - in particular "ISOC
StandardsPillar"

Hi Tom -

Ah ships in the night; yes, Carl, I think this is the best wording
so
far.

Two queries in my mind.  Looking at the ISOC Report 2003, I notice
it
uses revenue rather than income that you use; is there any hidden
meaning in that? eg because it is incorporated as a nonprofit
organization?

Revenue and income are equivalent.  In the non-profit world, we prefer
"revenue" to income and "excess of revenues over expense" to the word
"profit".

And reading between the lines, perhaps I should be less trusting of
ISOC
so is
it sufficient to say periodic summary?  Is there any implication
elsewhere of how often periodic is?  I expect accounts at least
every
12 months for any organisation, with them being more frequent for
larger
organisations, even every three months for some.

I really wouldn't bother specifying that.  My personal view?
Quarterly is
always nice.  But, I think that's something for the iaoc/isoc/etc...
work out ... they can figure out if their specific actions meet the
general
principle easily enough.  And, I wasn't being at all distrustful here
of
ISOC ... I was just trying to express the general principle in
traditional
language.

(Same with your cash flow analysis ... while I always prepare those
for
my organizations, it would be unusual require such a level of analysis
for external consumption, and it probably wouldn't give you a
tremendous
amount of insight into the functioning of a cost center as that part
of the operation is backed by the overall organization.  That's why
I just listed the usual 4 of revenue/income, expenses, assets, and
liabilities.)

Regards,

Carl