Re: Last Call: 'Labels in Subject Headers Considered Ineffective At Best' to Informational RFC

2005-02-24 14:45:53
Hi Brian -

I read the first draft of this document, and wondered:
Does this propose to change IETF behavior on list management, so that the
name of the list (usually same as working group) is not put in the Subject:
using the feature of mailman that does this?

That isn't the specific purpose of this draft: it argues that "labels"
such as "ADV:" are not good in the subject line.

There is another draft which argues against the use of mailing list
tags in the subject header and, my personal opinion, is that document
should also be published as an RFC.

See draft-koch-subject-tags-considered-00 for more details.

<snip>

However, until we get the latter two accomplished, I want the list manager
to mark the Subject: with the name of the list.

That's why I'm not specifically dealing with that issue.

<snip>

So, I ask that the author of the draft state his intentions with respect to
IETF list management, and that such an intention form part of the
consideration of the IETF on what to do with the draft.

No, that is not the intention of this draft.  I am dealing specifically
with policy-mandated subject line labelling.

Regards,

Carl