Re: Last Call: 'Labels in Subject Headers Considered Ineffective At Best' to Informational RFC

2005-02-24 15:17:25
Hi -

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt says:

"Internet-Drafts must be in ASCII. No 8bit chars are currently allowed.
If you need to include codepoints, a suggestion might be to use the
unicode convention: U+XXXX, where X is a hexadecimal digit."

So, for the quotes, if retaining the accent marks is really more important
than intelligibility, "Francaise" would become "FranU+00E7aise".  I'd ask
a native speaker of French which would be preferable, but I strongly suspect
that they'd find the ASCII mis-spelling less distasteful.

Randy

From: "Carl Malamud" <carl(_at_)media(_dot_)org>
To: "Alain Durand" <alain(_at_)tycool(_dot_)net>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: Last Call: 'Labels in Subject Headers Considered Ineffective At
Best' to Informational RFC

Merci bien pour votre suggestions ... JSPF (Je suis pas francais).  :))

Regards,

Carl

This is an interesting proposal, however I would suggest that
the grammatical mistakes relative to the french language
and the cultural references be fixed.

Suggestions:

s/The  Ambassadeur-General du France/L'Ambassadeur de France/
s/Le Academie Francais/L'Acad?mie Fran?aise/
s/Pate-du-Cochon-Degoutant-a-la-Facon-Horme/Fromage-qui-pue/
s/courriel/m?l/     (courriel was suggested by Qu?bec, not France, as
far as I know)

I would also suggest the author to use a standard way to represent the
above non US-ASCII
characters in the RFC ;-)

- Alain.