Re: Last Call: 'Labels in Subject Headers Considered Ineffective At Best' to Informational RFC

2005-02-24 16:22:14
Hi -

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt says:

"Internet-Drafts must be in ASCII. No 8bit chars are currently allowed.
If you need to include codepoints, a suggestion might be to use the
unicode convention: U+XXXX, where X is a hexadecimal digit."

So, for the quotes, if retaining the accent marks is really more important
than intelligibility, "Francaise" would become "FranU+00E7aise".  I'd ask
a native speaker of French which would be preferable, but I strongly suspect
that they'd find the ASCII mis-spelling less distasteful.

http://trusted.resource.org/no-solicit/ has the xml source and the
html rendition.  In the xml, I use the proper utf-8, which shows up
in full glory in the html.  For the ascii version, I concur with
Randy's opinion that it makes the most sense to sacrifice the
accents, a service that xml2rfc does very effectively.  My apologies
to French speakers (and, of course, my repeated apologies to any
citizens of Freedonia as well).

Regards,

Carl