Re: MARID back from the grave?

2005-02-24 21:31:30
Hi, Julien,

I'm enjoying the conversation in this thread, but do need to provide a word of explanation:

- I actually believed Coya, and spent several IETFs doing the newcomers orientation and WG chair training telling people that they DON'T have to rename drafts,

- I got significant pushback from a fair number of serious participants that they couldn't parse the blizzard of I-D announcements and missed WG drafts when WGs DON'T name (which includes "re-name") their drafts, including people who don't even open all of the announcements (just scanning the subject lines, which contain only the filename),

- so I quit arguing with everyone EXCEPT Coya and started telling people the whole sordid story, ending with "so it looks like you'll get better eyeball counts from serious participants if you DO rename your WG drafts".

I'd love to be able to give better guidance than "some WG drafts are more renamed than others", especially when (as I said) people are TRYING to use the filenames as metadata, and are not succeeding in all cases.

Just for your amusement, my awareness of this topic started about four years ago when I was listening to someone who'd been around longer than me sighing that he used to read ALL the DRAFTS, but was now unable to read all the draft ABSTRACTS... and I can't remember if that was Klensin or not :-)

Have a great weekend,

Spencer

From: "Julien Laganier" <Julien(_dot_)Laganier(_at_)Sun(_dot_)COM>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "Spencer Dawkins"
<spencer(_at_)mcsr-labs(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: MARID back from the grave?

Hi Spencer,

On Thursday 24 February 2005 13:15, Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Maybe we could improve the announcements to say what the WG (WGs?)
are for a draft, and we could quit twisting in this self-inflicted
wind?

But isn't it already the case? Quoting I-D announce:

"A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories. This draft is a work item of the XXX Working Group of
the IETF"

Thanks,

--julien