Re: Re: MARID back from the grave?

2005-03-02 09:55:28
  Working groups have a charter, which I think should be viewed as a contract
  for what the working group will work on / develop.

yup.  in fact, the language you use is commonly used to describe the charter
and to justify being so forceful in making it clear and plausible.

 When a working group
  wants to adopt a new draft, they need to have permission from the AD and may
  even need to revise the charter to be able to adopt the work.

This is exactly the wrong direction to take things.  ADs are massively
overworked.

Back last year (and the 3 years before ) when the IETF was claiming to be
working on improving quality and productivity, there seemed to be pretty clear
consensus that we wanted to move more things down to the working group chair,
not up to the AD.

ADs are inherently a bottle-neck.  This is structural, so it does not get
better by getting "better" ADs (whatever that means).

After chartering, an AD's working group oversight should be for review, not for
participating in getting the work done.

  I don't see it as a binding contract, but it does imply that the draft
  should progress.

Making it binding and enforcing it strictly would keep working groups far more
attentive to scope and schedule.

(Assuming the charter is written well...)

 d/
 --
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking