Re: MARID back from the grave?

2005-03-01 14:48:10
At 10:34 PM +0100 3/1/05, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On lørdag, februar 26, 2005 21:22:36 -0800 Christian Huitema <huitema(_at_)windows(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:

In fact, we only have two points of contentions: old personal drafts
submitted as version 00 of WG drafts; and old WG drafts submitted as
version 00 of new personal drafts.

now that we know that the secretariat keeps track of drafts that claim to obsolete another draft, we could make this Real Simple:

drafts that say they obsolete another draft get the later deadline.

                         Harald (who won't have to decide that)

That would only work if it was "said" in metadata that can be automatically
verified.

    Brian

Isn't that the point of a non-00 version number, and that can be verified by looking inside the document at the change log I suggested which tells you the previous I-Ds, and their existence can be independently verified. And for the truly paranoid, one could do an exhaustive search of all ID-s to assure that only one I-D is claiming descent from any given ancestor. (Under what I suggested, -00 is only used for new, fresh, drafts, and changes of name DO NOT reset the version number to 00.)
--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime