Re: Need for an Agenda Cutoff date?

2005-03-07 13:09:01
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Joe,

There is an agenda cutoff that WG chairs are supposed
to respect. This time it was:

> The agenda for the Working Group is due by Monday,
> February 28 at 12:00 ET (17:00 GMT).

But there were many late agendas and there was a glitch
in the process of posting them.

Guilty (IPoIB WG Chair here) - now solution space

For BOFs, the formal BOF proposal must include an agenda,
and that was due this time on February 21.

We need to try and follow our own rules next time.

Time to get Hard about this - if WG agendas aren't published by the cutoff date - the WG doesn't meet. Anyone I've ever talked to says good meeting practice includes publishing an agenda - if there isn't enough interest in publishing an agenda, there isn't enough interest in attending a meeting.

If a WG is scheduled to meet on the cutoff date and there isn't an agenda published on the cutoff - a message goes to the WG chair (and maybe to the WG as well) with a warning and if they don't get an agenda to the IETF in 24 hours...

CANCEL THE MEETING

Brian - is this going to be your first contribution to the IETF as the incoming chair ?

Bill
(who would have had his meeting cancelled today with these rules - but this is the right thing to do)

   Brian

Joe Touch wrote:

Hi, all,

With agendas appearing ever later - including last night, the issue of cutoff dates should be revisited.

If reading the drafts to be discussed is NOT an issue, then the I-D cutoff dates should be dropped.

If reading the drafts IS an issue, then, by correlary, there should be a corresponding cutoff date for agendas - e.g., 1 week after the last cutoff I-D date. Jjust as I-Ds that pass the cutoffs are not published for this IETF, WGs that fail to meet that deadline should be CANCELLED.

Consider this a proposal, or at least a request.

Joe