Re:Why?

2005-03-11 06:58:30
I think it should be in the other way around. Show the developers and
service providers that some applications can take advantage of IPv6 and
require less effort to be developed (because no need to care of the NAT),
and consequently less cost, less investment.

IPv6 is an innovation opportunity, and makes life more simple to everyone,
and consequently can generate more business.

The ISPs need to look IPv6 as a way to aggregate services and applications
and get a couple of extra euros for every service, every month, form every
customer. This can make a huge difference, specially when the revenues for
the access price are going down and down (and the bandwidth high and high),
and consequently they will not even able to cover the access cost with that
fees.

Starting to charge for IPv6 addresses, using IPv6 NAT, and so on, will not
help, on the other way around, will bring us to the same situation as with
IPv4 in terms of innovation and development of services and applications:
BUSINESS.

In the long-term I don't think the Telcos/ISPs will take that path, because
is against their business, their opportunity to add value to their networks.
But they may have for some time the wrong perception about this, and is also
our mission to avoid that happening as much as possible, probably educating
them, as I feel this only happens precisely because the lack of knowledge or
strategic vision about the future of Internet.

What we can do about that ?

Regards,
Jordi