Re: FW: Why?

2005-03-11 07:40:46
I have a totally different evaluation of the IPv6 issue I suggest you to consider.

IPv6 was specified as "IPv4 with larger addresses", this is what has been delivered and this is what is deployed by the RIRs and demanded by the market. One uses IPv6 as an extended IPv4 space. Any pressure for IPv6 will give the feeling that IPv6 is not IPv4 fully compatible and will lead to a disinterest of IPv6 (because IPv6 is the least used one, please will strive for stability). To say that IPv6 is better is even worse and will push people to better IPv4 (with NATs and others). To look for "the killer application" is the worst signal to the market: the market does not want revolution but services. (NATs are a general patch concept: HTTP.1.1 is another way to save on IP addresses which is more blocking the Internet development than NATs. NAT are now userboxes which are used for many other purposes and will stay).

The reason we need IPv6, IMHO is totally different. We need its size and flexibility to switch the internet from being an access network to an interactive network. I explain: when you start building a network you build its addressing to optimize the routing with the resources you have (centralized then decentralized network -the network of networks is decentralized). Then your network grows, and there is a time it can become a distributed network (the initial Paul Bahan/Louis Pouzin catenet concepts now permitted). The leader is no more the routing but the directory. So, you do not adapt the addressing to the routing (as do the RIRs) ,you design the routing to match the addressing. IPv4 or IPv6 is allocated along the same line by the RIR. This was the initial phase of the internet. In the case of the Internet its mature phase needs addressing schemes most probably more based upon geopolitic structures of the demand (but it would be fool to dedicate the addressing to such an approach only).

The IETF had five things to do.
1. to identify the need. It did it with "longer address". It did not identify the legacy/global transition aspect (NGN?) but that was really up to the ICANN process to do it.
2. to develop the standard. Done.
3. to guide the experimental phase what it did with the legacy deployment (RIRs). Done. 4. to transfer to the market operators what has been made with NRO being now formed and now ITU. May be sometime Space and Geography blocks. Done. 5. to support their specific needs to permit them to be complementary and adequate to their markets, their coopetition supporting their deployment and fostering cost reduction, stability and innovation. This is the phase we are entering now.

The first need they all have is that IPv4 becomes fully IPv6 compatible. When this is achieved, the transition is achieved.
For what it may be worth, from the users side.
jfc