RE: IETF62 Network and Terminal Room Information

2005-03-11 09:44:17
I am attending lately both IETF and IEEE 802 Plenary meetings. Both run
networks of similar sizes, lately the IEEE 802 participation exceeds the IETF
one, but they are still at the same level of magnitude. I must say that
although the IEEE was late relative to the IETF in the game of providing a
network during their meetings, the quality of the network lately is much better
than of the IETF one, and there were no major problems in the last meetings as
far as I remember.

If anybody is interested I can try to get some contact information from the
people doing the IEEE 802 meetings network and try to learn something from
them. I suspect that the IEEE 802.11 folks may be involved, or at least at hand
to help but there should be no shortage of operational networking experience at
the IETF meetings as well right?

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of Steven M. Bellovin
Sent: 11 March, 2005 5:50 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IETF62 Network and Terminal Room Information

In message <4231B9DB(_dot_)70003(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>, Brian E
Carpenter writes:
Jordi, I thought that Jim Martin's message under subject
"IETF62 Wireless Network Update" had already explained
what was happening (and IPv6 was a victim of those
circumstances). Of course this was very annoying and nobody
wants to see it happen again.

In my experience the IPv4 network was working *most* of the time
after Monday, but there were roaming glitches. And if you
unintentionally associated with the hotel network, life became
more complicated.

It's also not a new problem; we've had major wireless network
meltdowns
at many recent IETFs.  (I'm not at this IETF; I've been at
every other
one for the last 10 years, and it's an ongoing problem: running a
large-scale wireless net with no time for stress-testing is *hard*.)

              --Prof. Steven M. Bellovin,
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb