Re: IETF62 Network and Terminal Room Information

2005-03-11 09:23:45
I partly share Jordi's concerns about the newfangled IETF WLAN.

While the network basically worked reliably for me once I nailed my
adapter to 802.11a, it was truly disappointing to see IPv6 being
turned off a(between Monday and Tuesday IIRC).  I wonder whether the
decision to turn off IPv6 was just part of a general feature-shedding
strategy to stabilize the network, or whether there were actually good
reasons to assume that IPv6 actually caused those instabilities.

By the way, what were the reasons to switch to the new crop of
wireless access points? If it's "we don't have to pay for them", or
"they are much easier for the volunteers to set up/manager", I can
sort-of accept this (although I think the first could be said of the
older APs too, and the second would be hard to believe).  At the
previous meeting the new APs were touted to have some unspecified new
"security features".  I don't know about others, but personally I've
always found the IETF Wireless LAN largely secure enough, thank you.

Maybe this is all just a reminder on how the Internet in general has
"fossilized", when we cannot run IPv6 due to issues in what should be
link-layer devices (new ones to boot, designed probably about eight
years *after* IPv6 was defined.)
--
Simon.