Re: IETF62 Network and Terminal Room Information

2005-03-11 09:39:55
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Tim Chown wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 08:18:00AM -0800, Lucy E. Lynch wrote:

Not exactly, Telekom Austria spent more than a year ramping up for the
meeting AND they had installed and controled all of the in building
network for the Austria Center Vienna. They did a great job, but they
had way more access and way more time in building than most IETF network
teams ever get. The difference between a production network and Rock &
Roll.

But we don't have any documentation of what they did to make it so good?

Note we do reuse some venues a lot, Minneapolis being one, so if it's a
matter of site surveying/preparation, one might hope that each repeated
event at the same location would allow an ideal solution to be evolved.

not just a site survey - they built the in-building network from the
ground up when the Center was constructed and as the national PTT they had
access to the (gov) building way ahead of time to install stuff like APs.

Ask Jim/Karen/etc when they got access to any given room here in the
Hilton...

I don't see that we can do anything but gain by having IETF WLAN deployments
publicly documented post-event.  The lessons would also be lapped up by
other audiences.

This has been done several times - after things sucked in Atlanta we
published a crit/self crit and Joel did a round of presentations on
wireless deploy in dense environments at NANOG and several other ops
meetings.

The host document is w-a-y out of date - want to take a crack at
updating it?

--
Tim/::1