Re: IETF62 Network and Terminal Room Information

2005-03-11 09:02:34
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:31:39PM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Jordi, I thought that Jim Martin's message under subject
"IETF62 Wireless Network Update" had already explained
what was happening (and IPv6 was a victim of those
circumstances). Of course this was very annoying and nobody
wants to see it happen again.

In my experience the IPv4 network was working *most* of the time
after Monday, but there were roaming glitches. And if you
unintentionally associated with the hotel network, life became
more complicated.

I think Jordi was being rather harsh.

One thing that would be very useful, both for the IETF ops people (who I
assume change with each event) and attendees who may want to run large
events with WLAN, is for the ops team to do a 2-3 page writeup after
each IETF of what was deployed, what worked, what didn't and recommendations
for future deployments.

I recall Austria had probably the best network seen in some time (even
Randy Bush praised it in the plenary ;) but the magic secret was lost in
the mists of time.

Running an IETF network is a thankless task.  Maybe such reporting would
ease the task a little for future IETFs and for others running similar
events (though IETF is probably as demanding as it gets :)

I didn't see a Hilton SSID all week btw.  I had pretty much no connectivity
in meeting rooms from Mon-Wed, then it improved later yesterday, maybe as
the number of attendees/users diminuished.  My symptoms were wireless
association dropping sporadically and DHCP failing to issue an IP, but
when I was associated packet loss to the deafult gateway was high and RTT
to it often peaked up at a few 1000ms.   But if I needed access I could
just pop downstairs in the breaks and use the IETF network in the lobby
bar area :)

Tim