Re: IETF63 wireless

2005-03-12 10:43:28

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Dave Crocker wrote:

Given the current state of our dependence on the wireless service, during an IETF, try imagine saying the same thing about cell phone service, or hotel room door key service, or...

We need to find a way for the core IETFF meeting to have Internet access service that demonstrates very high reliability, from the start of our using it, just like do for any other essential utility.

It hardly needs pointing out that IETF doesn't make special arrangements for telephone, electricity, water, air conditioning, etc. They're expected to be adequate as part of the venue.

I don't know how many attendees at IETF 62 tried to use the hotel wireless Internet service, but I did, and it was terrible. I purchased the week-long service on Sunday, and had to purchase it again several times during the week ("don't worry, we'll fix up the charging" said the front desk, and they did). On Sunday all the protocols I needed worked (HTTP, IMAP, ssh, SIP, Kerberos, etc), but later in the week anything but HTTP was hit-or-miss (IMAP in particular never worked at all). I considered complaining to the front desk ("your protocol isn't working, sir?") but it was easier just to go downstairs.

Unfortunately we seem to be quite a ways from having wireless Internet work as well as other utilities in the typical hotel. Maybe we'll just have to go to the cafes ...

 - RL "Bob"