Re: What? No PPT or wireless? [Re: IETF63 wireless]

2005-03-14 06:38:34
On Mar 14 2005, at 14:07 Uhr, Keith Moore wrote:

we used to get a lot more work done when we used our meetings primarily for discussion rather than scheduling presentations for most or all of the meeting time.

Yes.  WG chairs planning WG meetings, take note.

But then, one difference is that a lot more stuff happens outside the WG meetings (e.g., on the mailing list) than ten years ago. People don't convene in one place to do original work but to decide on the fate of work that has been done elsewhere. Also, the things being worked on are simply way more complex than ten years ago. (The best WG meeting I ever attended was one where Tony Li hammered out most of the IP-over-firewire details in one session by asking the attending firewire experts all the right questions in one sitting. I'm still wowed for life. But you can't do this for something as complex as VPLS.)

All that would explain a tendency to mainly do "progress reports".
This does not (fully) explain why we don't discuss things as much any more, however.

Right now, if you need significant discussion in a WG, it seems you have to schedule an interim.

Gruesse, Carsten