RE: Voting (again)

2005-04-19 05:48:29
    > From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

    > Because they only get to do it once and have no expectation of
    > repeating.

One would think that would make them more likely to make changes, not less.

    >> The *whole point* of the NomComm is for it to have roughly the same
    >> views as the IETF as a whole, except in a smaller body.

    > The people whoe wrote the constitution certainly thought that there
    > would be a difference. Otherwise they would have done it the obvious
    > way.

You clearly are not paying attention to the words "smaller body", with
the manifold advantages that brings.

    > As I said, ignoring the 2,500 years of experience since that date.
    > Moreover the Athenian constitution was not exactly a success, they
    > murdered Socrates, got whacked in the Peleponesian war and finaly got
    > whacked by the Romans.
    > Given the fragmentary nature of classical accounts I find it
    > astonishing that you would think that you could understand the dynamics
    > of the organizations at all, let alone whether they were satisfactory.
    > Most of the accounts were written by the people whose interests were
    > served by those arrangements. The one dissenting voice, Plato provides
    > a critique so devastating that the same experiment is not tried again
    > for two millenia.

Alas, much as pointing out the numerous errors above would interest me, it's
a bit far afield for this list. (I'm particularly amused by your calling on
Plato for support - he was profoundly anti-democratic.)

Let me stay somewhat on topic by pointing out that the US Founding Fathers
found the systems of the Greeks (and Romans) worthy of study and inspiration
- so there's at least one group of relatively modern political geniuses who
disagree with your valuation.

        Noel