RE: Voting (again)

2005-04-19 17:09:15

Alas, much as pointing out the numerous errors above would
interest me, it's a bit far afield for this list. (I'm
particularly amused by your calling on Plato for support - he
was profoundly anti-democratic.)

That is exactly the type of dishonest rhetorical tactic that has caused
so many people to become very disillusioned with the IETF: 'I could
explain the numerous mistakes you make to you sonny, but I am too
important to bother'.

Plato was anti-democratic with good reason. The Athenian 'democracy'
that was cited as the exemplar degenerated into mob rule and the
judicial murder of Socrates. It is in any case a somewhat strange idea
to hold to a city state run by a slave owning elite as an exemplar of
democratic processes or traditions.

Even the Roman Republic allowed the plebs to elect a Tribune.