Re: Voting (again)

2005-04-19 11:02:34

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Eliot Lear wrote:

At the same time reverse is not true, i.e. I do not think IESG should be allowed to make a decision on document on its own if there is no consensus.

An individual has the ability to write a draft. The IESG has the ability to gauge consensus as to whether that draft should become a standard.

Yes and sometimes they have to take a guess if the number of comments
in regards to the draft is too few. I'm however talking about situation
where there would be enough comments on the it ...

So in essence they have the capability today. The fact that it is rarely used is a testament to the good judgement these good people display. In other words, at least this part "ain't broke".

I did not say it is. I think its quite clear that decision for document
to become a standard should be based on BOTH consensus AND agreement of IESG.

---
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net