Re: "straightforward, reasonable, and fair"

2005-05-05 08:48:55
On Thu, 5 May 2005, Ralph Droms wrote:
But, I don't see how it applies here.  I'm not claiming "Nobody was
smarter than anybody else."  Yakov explained it better than I have: "for
each AD there is more than one person in the IETF who is more
technically astute than that AD. So, why should the IETF decision
process favor opinion of such AD more than the opinion of these other
individual who are more astute that the AD ?"

What is the context of technical astuteness? How do you compare people with different technical focuses? You can't.

If an AD raises an issue about a document (from area X) that it conflicts or causes serious problems (from the perspective of area Y), how do you ensure that the more technically astute people (particularly on Y but also a bit on X) participate in the discussion?

The key point here is that the AD from area Y might be much more technically astute about that area than anyone in the WG producing a document.

Are you proposing that the IETF list is turned into generic discussion board for all the documents, generating 20-50+ messages for every IETF-LC'd document (every AD's "IESG review" plus clarifications, follow-ups, outsiders opinions, etc.)?

What about Informational/Experiemental WG submissions which so far have not been IETF LC'd?