Re: improving WG operation

2005-05-09 11:39:09
A slight mod:

The best technology doesn't always win: engineers don't always solve the right
problem. Sometimes I think the IETF is making the tools (a.k.a - protocols)
that make the Internet run. Sometimes the market doesn't want the tool that we
made, or needed a took sooner than we could produce one.

John

====================
The good thing about mobile email is that t9 forces you to be brief.

--- original message ---
Subject:        Re: improving WG operation
Sender: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
Date:           05/09/2005 2:44 am

"Tom" == Tom Lord <lord(_at_)emf(_dot_)net> writes:

    Tom> All I mean is that, for higher level protocols, letting
    Tom> people do what they will ("the market decides") seems to me
    Tom> to be the best option.  Yes, using your example, IM protocols
    Tom> fragment, interop suffers, there's lots of crap --- so what?

I think our concern is that we have finite resources here in the IETF.
If you want a market decides standards, go set up an industry
consortium or go to a market decides standards body.

The IETF works best when people bringing technologies to it buy into
the idea of building rough consensus.

So, if you want the market to decide, and you don't have a
particularly good reason for being at the IETF, perhaps we're not the
best place for you to do your work.

One obvious question to ask is whether the IETF still has work to do
and is still the right place for anything.  My answer is simple: let
the market decide;)