Re: improving WG operation

2005-05-10 18:59:03

   From: Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com>

   > I'm not so sure IETF can help user's other than by producing very
   > good, easily accessed documents with available reference
   > implementations.

   The IETF doesn't produce documents that are meant to be accessible to
   users. Nor does it produce reference implementations. IETF documents are
   meant to be accessible to engineers and operators, creating and running
   interoperable services of various types.

(a) please don't be so classist.

(b) please don't put words in my mouth, even by implication of your reply.

Thanks,
-t

p.s.:

   > Why *isn't* the rest of the governance simply noise?  Why *isn't* the
   > rest of the governance simply a game a professional organization has
   > agreed to play that will ultimately turn it into just another
   > consortium?  Isn't the rule-mongering just a very indirect attempt to
   > find rules that coincidentally create the effects an endorsement/trust
   > system would render in a more naked form?  What's the "value add" of
   > anything beyond an endorsement/trust system?  My answers to those
   > questions are clear and that's why I say: strike while the iron is hot
   > -- while there are still recognizable names who roughly essentially
   > deserve trust?

   I'd offer one point: Name recognition has nothing to do with trust.

Right.  Trust has only a role in drawing attention.  People still have
to think for themselves.