Re: New root cause problems?

2005-05-10 09:45:52
I have one new "root cause" issue that I don't believe was included
in the original Problem Statement:

     It takes too long to publish an RFC after final approval.

I agree with this. Over the last year especially, I'm seeing a
significant number of cases where it is taking much more time to get
an RFC published than seems justified.

One example (and I'm just using it because it was it comes to mind,
and one that I think is symptomatic of the broader problem):

The DNSSEC bis document set (RFCs 4033-4035).

October 15, 2004: IESG approves 4-document  set.
Within one week: authors send xml source to RFC editor
March 10, 2005: IESG requests expedited processing (target date: March 31)
March 29, 2005: RFCs published

Total time between IESG approval and publication, 5 1/2 months.

And to get to Margaret's other points, I agree that these delays
damage the IETF. It contributes to the perception that we are too
slow, causes additional confusion about a document's true status, etc.

Implementors and other SDOs need access to the final RFCs in a timely
fashion.

Thomas